With a plea of guilty or nolo contendere (no contest), you may request to take a driving safety course. You may be eligible to request this course if:
- You have a valid Texas Driver’s License
- Proof of financial responsibility (insurance) in your name
- You have not taken the course in twelve months
- Your citation is not for speeding more than 25 mph over the limit and you have a Class C driver’s license
- You do not have a commercial drivers license (CDL)
- Your citation is not for an offense committed in a construction zone when workers are present
There is a $109.10 court cost fee in most cases that must be paid at the time of the request. If your offense occurred in a school zone, the court cost fee is $134.10. You will be granted 90 days to complete your course and return your certificate of completion and certified driving record.
Defensive Driving Course CANNOT
be taken without prior court approval and until your payment is received by this court.
You must submit those items by your due date. If you fail to comply within the time allowed, you will receive a summons from the court and show cause why you failed to comply. If you fail to appear at the scheduled hearing, a warrant for your arrest may be issued.